Problem: Outlook will only open in safe mode.
If your problem began on December 8 or 9 2015 and affects Outlook 2010:
I have been battling this one since the updates happened last week. It WAS the result of an update. The easiest fix is you’ll need to uninstall that update
This is caused by installing KB3114409 – it causes Outlook to run in Safe mode, which uses the default settings. Your customizations aren’t lost, they just aren’t being used when Outlook is in Safe mode.
Close Outlook from the home menu
Go to control panel>programs and features>view installed updates
in the search field search for KB3114409
double click on the update and you should be prompted to uninstall it.
I’ve also read that KB2760779,and KB2555330 also cause issues as well so you may want to uninstall those to. The preferred order is KB3114409, KB2760779, then KB2555330
and try things out in between each uninstallation. I’m finding just uninstalling them all can cause some issues. Most times just uninstalling the first one is sufficient.
BTW if you are not experiencing the running in safe mode or your Outlook views are looking correct then there is no need to uninstall the updates.
Then rerun the updates manually and select those updates to be ignored for future updates or they will reinstall again. (right click and select hide)
To edit the registry key:
- Open the Registry editor (RegEdit) by pressing Windows key + R. Type regedit in the Open: field. Then click Ok.
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\?Software\?Microsoft\?Office\?14.0\?Outlook\?Security\
- If any key in the path is missing, you’ll need to create it. Right click on the last key, choose New, then Key and type the key name.
- Right click on Security key and choose New, and then DWORD Value.
- Type DisableSafeMode, and then press Enter.
- Right-click on DisableSafeMode, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- If you have 64bit Windows and 32bit Office, also add DisableSafeMode, Value: 1 to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\?SOFTWARE\?Wow6432Node\?Microsoft\?Office\?14.0\?Outlook\?Security\
- Restart Outlook or reboot the computer.